Sunday, March 20, 2011

All Weather Safety Whistles

http://www.wind-storm-whistles.com/





"You know how to whistle, don't you... You just put your lips together and blow." Oh, you are only two and don't know how to whistle yet? I see.







My son is at the age where he wants to carry his own backpack and I thought he should have a safety whistle. We hike at least once a week and do orienteering meets as well. While we have discussed staying put if lost, but I think it is more likely for him to signal for help. I now am teaching him that it is only for emergencies.





All weather safety whistles sent me a Storm and Windstorm whistle for testing and review (difference is the size). These whistles are large and I like that. The kids could not hold my small whistle and blow, but these allow them to grip around and make a nice, loud noise (not good inside, but good if lost). They also are not metal, so they wouldn't be so cold in the winter.




I took the whistle out of the box and handed it to my 2.5 year old son without instruction. He immediately put it to his lips and blew. I liked that he could signal for help without needing any steps or instructions. My one year old had some trouble, but eventually got it to make a sound. He did enjoy carrying it around and chewing on it! At least if he gets lost with his brother, one of them can call for help!

These little lifesavers are only $5.50. If you or your child is lost and needs help, this little baby could save you (have you ever seen Titanic?). While you could buy a cheap coach's whistle, it won't compare to this Windstorm. Just read what this can do-




From the company: The Storm is the original All-Weather Safety whistle, and has been carefully designed to produce the most powerful soundwavespossible, and can be heardthrough walls, through glass and through water. The Storm whistle is the loudest whistle in the world, and can be heard over a quarter of a mile through trees and over a half mile over water.




There is no comparison. Get one of these whistles and teach your little one to use it. Maybe your child can do the sit and wait for rescue, but why not give him something to do while hugging the tree!

I give the Storm and Windstorm my Alaskan Mom Approval as it will give families some mental security when getting out with kiddos. It is a light weight piece of gear that could save a life!

No comments:

Post a Comment